Five Things You Need to Know about Chimacum Facilities and Grade Configurations
Dear Parents and Community Members:
Over the last several months the school board and I have discussed the condition of our facilities, the costs to repair them, and how to use the spaces both efficiently and economically. Our overall goal is to align the best spaces the public owns with the enrollment in each program and in each grade. Here are the things you need to know:
- Safety and security are the highest priority. For each student in each classroom, we will configure all programs in such a way to keep students safe.
- I will present a final configuration plan to the board on December 12, 2018. For over six months, staff have reviewed pros and cons of different scenarios. I have asked Principal’s David Carthum and Jason Lynch to convene a committee to look at the issues in depth before recommending the best solution(s).
- The overall goal is to use the best spaces in the district. Last year, a report was created using a wide range of professionals who rated each building condition and created a roadmap for repairs. Our clear aim is to house students in the best spaces.
- Operations need to align with enrollment. The district owns and maintains over 200,000 square feet of public space. The plan will reflect enrollment in each grade, for now and in the future. The enrollment decline will likely result in less square feet being heated, repaired, and maintained.
- The District invites you to see for yourself the ages, conditions, and configuration of space. Two tours have been set:
- November 14, 4:00-6:00 PM
- November 27, 6:00-8:00 PM
If these times don’t work, just let us know and we will schedule other times. As your Superintendent, I am also happy to talk with you about concerns you might have. Just let me know. You may reach me at (360) 302-5896 or email@example.com.
Thanks for listening!